Tuesday, November 1, 2016

We didn't Know

As I looked at this week's prompts for writer's workshop, one caught my eye.  The prompt was to share a photo with a back story.  There isn't much of a back story.  It was just a simple visit with my grandma.  It shows how much family means to me.  



It was October 2004.  My oldest, Know-it-All, was 15 months old.  

We had gone to visit my grandma so that we could eat lunch with her.  Know-it-All was not interested in his lunch.  Instead he kept pointing to something hanging from her dining room ceiling.  


He was late with his language development so he was pointing and maybe grunting. 

So what was he pointing at?  My grandma's brother-in-law had made a model of the plane my grandpa had been a gunner in while in WWII.  

Know-it-All was more interested in the plane instead of his lunch.


We didn't know that four years after this photo, my grandma would be in failing health.  We didn't know that Know-it-All and her would become best buddies during her last year of life.  The first funeral he attended was hers when he was five years old.

We didn't know that he would becoming a big brother nine months after this photo was taken.

We didn't know that he would have many similarities to my grandpa.  Chocolate and pumpkin pie are some of his favorites just like his great grandpa.

We didn't know that photos like these would be precious because we don't have many photos of him with his great grandma.


Thank you for reading about my crazy life,
Traci

Mama’s Losin’ It

4 comments:

  1. We never know the future. We think we might, but we never know what is actually going to happen. I am grateful for all the pictures I have that bring back special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a wonderful story, and I bet you treasure that picture of the two of them. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much changes in such little time. I'm glad you have the photo to treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you visited my site and enjoyed the stories about my crazy life.