Thursday, October 27, 2016

What do animals and zoos have to do with multiplication?

I venture on Pinterest off and on when I am looking for a recipe or an idea for work.  However most of the time I just Google whatever I'm looking for because I sometimes will get better results.

The other day I was looking for ideas of how to teach long multiplication to my students with disabilities (SWD).  I came across an acronym for teaching 2 or 3 digit multiplication times 2 digit that I loved.

During our education career, we've been taught so many acronyms or mnemonic devices to help us remember different topics.  Do you remember learning that Roy G. Biv for the colors of the rainbow in order?  Or do you remember My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas in order to remember the names of the planets in the correct order?  My most favorite one is the one for the steps for a long division problem - Dirty Monkey Smell Bad.  I've been using that one for almost 30 years.  Now a days, they use Does McDonalds Sell Burgers but I can't get Dirty Monkey Smell Bad out of my head.

In order to remember the steps of long multiplication problems, the acronym or mnemonic device is Many ZoosMany Animals.  

Many = Multiply the first factor by the number in the ones place in the second factor.

Zoos = Bring down the Zero.

Many = Multiply the first factor by the number in the tens place in the second factor.

Animals = Add those two products together.

On many if not all of my SWD's Individualized Educational Plans, they have an accommodation of math reference sheets.  So I created a math reference sheet so they can refer to it when they are multiplying longer multiplication problems.



I also created an anchor chart for the multiplication acronym or mnemonic devices.  The anchor chart is color coded for each step of the standard algorithm.  

My students seem to love it because it reminds them of the steps for long multiplication.

This is one idea I got off of Pinterest that I love.  



Thank you for reading about my crazy life,
Traci

Mama's Losin' It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you visited my site and enjoyed the stories about my crazy life.