Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Finish This - Week 4

It's been another week.  This is the last Wednesday with students.  It is our original last day of school but because of the snow and cold weather, we've got four more days of students after this.

Friday we are taking some of the fifth and sixth grade students to King's Island.  I volunteered to chaperone.  That could be bad or it could be good.  Wish me luck no matter what.

We are in for some bad weather this afternoon.  I'm not looking forward to that.

I conquer fear - Before I can finish this prompt, I need to reveal my biggest fear and that is driving in really bad weather.  
So when we get the weather report that a big snow is coming, there are a few things I do if I know I'm going to have to be driving in the bad weather.
1.  Check to see if school is cancelled.  (If I'm home and it's a school day.)  I will refresh that puppy numerous times, wishing and hoping I would not have to go out in that bad weather.
2.  Next I check the weather radar and forecast.  I constantly refresh that website wishing and praying for no snow or for the forecast to be wrong in a good way.
3.  I plead and cry asking Hubby to drive me.
4.  I call a co-worker to drive me to school.  I still have to drive but it is only to her house.
5.  If I do have to drive, I pray every time I go over a bridge especially and then thank him when I make it over the bridge safely.
6.  I'm extra diligent while driving.
7.  I kiss the ground when I get to my destination.  Okay I don't do that but I almost should do that.

I follow my heart by taking lots of pictures.  I know that may sound silly but I'm a visual person.  There are pictures of people and places in my filing cabinet of my brain.  Pictures remind me of those places and people.  
Also when I was growing up, I was shown very few pics of myself as a baby and toddler.  My grandma had some in a special spot but I wasn't shown them.  When she wasn't home (I lived with her.), I would sneak looking at the pictures since I wasn't allowed to look at them.  (Long story - not going to go into it)
I now have a lot of those pictures and recently got my hospital picture from my birth.
I want the boys to have pictures of themselves growing up.  They are allowed to look at them.  Those pictures also remind them of people and places.  




I feed my soul by going to church every Sunday.  Or almost every Sunday.  We also listen to a lot of K Love around here. If Hubby doesn't have talk radio on, 80% of the time he has K Love on.  (That is if the radio is on.)
We also listened to Chris Tomlin, my favorite Christian singer, while driving down to Walt Disney World since we could not go to church that Sunday.
I also feed my soul by looking at sunrises and sunsets.  For some reason those center me and remind me of the good and beauty of the Lord.

Here is my favorite quote/ Bible verse and has been since I was 15 years old:



I used to worry about ____ but then _____.  I used to worry about how I looked because I thought I was unattractive but then I realized I wasn't as unattractive as I had thought.  When I was going through that many many many years stage, I would take my glasses off if I had any pictures taken.  I would allow some pictures to be taken.  Now that I realize I'm not as unattractive as I thought.  Now I leave my glasses on and allow pics to be taken of me.
Please don't think I'm conceited.  I've just came to a peace with my looks after many years of hating how I looked.

Here is a recent picture of me:

I also hated my smile because of having lots of problems with my teeth.  I'm still working on that one.



Prompts for WEEK 23 (June 11) are: The best compliment I ever received …
Wearing red lipstick makes me feel …
The best investment I’ve made …
My best childhood memory …




6 comments:

  1. Hi Traci! I'm the same way with hazardous travel. I hate it! It seems the older I get the more anxiety I have over it. Taking pictures is a great way to document life! I try to take pics when I can. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Driving in bad weather doesn't bother me as much as being on the road in general with careless drivers during bad weather. I grew up in Kentucky, where we experience all four seasons and have plenty of snow and ice. Folks learn to drive cautiously and with care. When I moved to Texas, OH MY GOSH, these people are idiots on the road. And if it's raining, they'll drive 20mph. If it's snowing or there is ice on the road, they drive 60mph until they hit or slide into something. DRIVES. ME. NUTS. hahahaha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thinking taking a ton of pictures is always great. There are so many things my brain dumps after a while and having a picture is a way to recapture that memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all your smile is yours so own it, love it and embrace what you were given :) And if you are working on it, you are simply improving something that is already great. I never thought I could ever date someone who had bad teeth.. fast forward to Adam. Has a huge gap in his teeth and a chipped front tooth, and let me say I wouldn't change a thing. I love that about him and would be sad if he fixed them. It's what makes his smile unique :)

    And second, the bad weather thing... growing up in WI I've learned how to handle this, but Nicole is onto something, other people and their poor driving skills are what concern me. However, that being said, I strongly dislike driving in rain about 10x more than snow! Enjoy these wonderful summer months when the kiddos are done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bad experience with a dentist when I was growing up. Needless to say my teeth were not taken care of and I didn't go to the dentist for many years. Once I met my husband, I started to go to a dentist I adore. He's helped me get get my teeth in order. I still have issues with how bad my teeth got.

      I'm in Ohio but I have a fear of the snow. I think it's because I'm afraid of how I would react if I got into a dicey situation.

      Delete
  5. I am so with you on the pictures. I love taking them and they help fill in those memories that can sometimes get fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you visited my site and enjoyed the stories about my crazy life.