Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Finish This Week #2

Happy Hump Day!  It is the middle of the week and I'm glad to be almost over with this week.  The end of the year at schools are torture.  Teachers have to keep the students motivated.  Students just want to have fun.  It's a tricky balance between the right type of work and controlling the crazy behaviors.

Onto to the finish this prompts:

My favorite recipe is my grandma's white salad recipe.  Actually I wouldn't call it my grandma's white salad.  It's my family's recipe and I don't know where the original recipe began.  
When I did my internship down in Walt Disney World, my grandma sent me recipes.  The white salad was one of the recipes.  I made it for Thanksgiving and ended up eating it forever.  It was a piece of home away from home.  
Now I only make it for Thanksgiving.  I'm the only who eats it but that's okay.



I believe in guardian angels.  There are times when I'm driving alone and all of the sudden I feel a kick on my driver's seat.  It's as though there is someone else is the car with me.  They are watching over me to make sure I get to my destination safely.  
I've also had cardinals show up when I've needed reassurance about things going on in my life.  Sometimes it's as though a cardinal is waiting for me and then they will fly across in front of my car.  It's my guardian angel.

I need to set boundaries with my students.  The majority of them understand the differences in our roles.  I'm the teacher.  They are the students.  You show respect by calling me Mrs.  ____.  I have one student from last year that will call me by my first name but will say it under her breath and then play all innocent with me as though she didn't say anything.  She does not get why that makes me upset.  Students of mine that are now graduated and in their 20's still call me Mrs.  _____.  It's called respect.  (She knows my first name because she has heard me say my name while answering the phone.)  

I began living when I worked in Walt Disney World as a college student.  It was my first experience away from home and I had to learn how to be self reliant.  I really discovered myself during those 4 months.  And to this day, I will talk about my experiences while there.


Next Week's Prompts:
The best mistake I ever made …From this mistake, I learned …When I’m anxious, I tell myself …All I really want to do is …




14 comments:

  1. I bet you are sooooo ready for summer as a teacher!! These last few weeks must seem to absolutely drag on as your break approaches. Always a challenge with students and setting those boundaries. I did my Master's in education so was a student teacher and I always told myself I was there to teach, not make friends. (Especially in England because the kids were so interested in American Culture!). So I commend you for all that you do for the students. Teachers are never given nearly enough credit. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The students are so-o-o-o ready to be done with school. Since we had a lot of snow and coldness, we have to make up 4 extra days. This year feels like it will never end.

      Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh, some days I really miss being in the classroom and then I remember the torture and agony of late May and early June. Eeek! Students AND teachers are ready for summer but there's still work to be done, usually state-mandated testing, and it's torture to get up every morning. HA! Keep going, you're almost there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 more weeks! I just got done with another state mandated field testing once again.

      The students are so ready to be done with school. I have one keep telling the state mandated test is over so he shouldn't have to do any work.

      Delete
  3. I can so understand why it would upset you that she uses your first name. That's just rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only that 1 student. And then she will act all innocent when called out on it. So annoying.

      Delete
  4. You had me at interning at Disney.... Oh that is my dream job! I hope it brought a lot of happiness to you while you interned... I would hate to hear that Disney was not as fun to work at as it is going to the park! It is funny how certain 'mushes' of food are the best. We have a sorta similar recipe that I like to make around the holiday and I feel like I am the only one that gobbles that goodness down. I will def have to find it and publish. Oh my fat tummy loves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful place to work. I still talk about it and it's been almost 19 years since I worked there.

      If I had my mom and her cousins around more people would eat that White Salad. My husband's family doesn't eat it. More for me.

      Delete
  5. totally believe in guardian angels and other signs we receive from The Other Side! I see butterflies around me a lot..... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite teachers from high school died on Monday morning. I found out yesterday. On my way home from work yesterday I saw a cardinal. It gave me reassurance that Ms. Adams is in a better place. (I had visited her in January and we kept in contact via Facebook.)

      Delete
  6. I love cardinals. We have a pair nesting in the back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love cardinals. They are so pretty. Okay the males are so pretty. I saw another one today on the way to work.

      Delete
  7. Aah, I work in a high school library, and I feel everyone's pain about the end of the year. I don't know who's more over all this right now...me or the seniors! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tie of who is so done with school. I've had a rough week - not necessarily with the students - this week. (Schedule has been messed up for 3 days.) I'm so done at this point.

      Delete

Please let me know if you visited my site and enjoyed the stories about my crazy life.