Saturday, March 1, 2014

It's Like Going Home

Everyone in my family is excited that we are going to Disney at the end of this month.  For me, it's a different excitement.  Disney is where I discovered myself when I was only 20 years old.  Disney is home away from home.  


How can Disney be home away from home?  


For the first 3 years of my college education, I attended Sinclair Community College.  They are partnered up with the Disney College Program.  My mom went to campus one day to meet with the Cooperative Education director who was attended the church my grandparents were members of.  She saw the signs for the program and told me to interview.  Thanks, mom.  That was the best advice you could have given me.

In March or April of '95, I interviewed.  Everyone had 2 interviews - one group and one over the phone.  Then they would send you out a rejection or an acceptance letter.  My letter never came.  I was so worried.  Finally about a week before my 20th birthday, a beat up (US Postal System) envelope came.

It was huge and thick.  (If it was now, I would probably have 10 million pics of it.)   I was going to be going to Disney that September to work there.  We were so excited that we forgot our dog, Dusty, in the yard when we left to go to the grocery store.  Luckily when Grandpa drove back, he was standing on the back porch waiting patiently.

This was May so four months was going to go slow but quickly.  I had to make travel plans and get things in order.

Finally it was September.  I left the day after my sister's 18th birthday.  My grandma in Pennsylvania called and tried to convince my mom not to let me go because I will introduced to evil stuff.  We laughed it off and finally it was September 5.  (Oh and I was still packing the night before I left for the trip.)

I flew out of Dayton to Orlando with a stop in Atlanta.  It was my second time flying alone and about the third time flying.  

Once I go to Orlando, I had to collect all my belongings from baggage claim.  Carry it on my own, get the shuttle, and then ride to my new home for 4 months.  I can remember the driver paying at the tollbooth.  I might have been on a toll road before but didn't remember having to pay to drive on a road.

Finally we were at Vista Way.  I got my apartment assignment.  Apartment 802 was going to be new home for 4 months.  My new roommates were from France, England, Italy, Norway, and Arkansas.

I was home.

To be continued . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know if you visited my site and enjoyed the stories about my crazy life.